The Meteorological Services evolved from the post-war years of World War II. The Air Ministry of the British Government established it in 1946 as a forecasting office.
In 1951 it became part of the British Caribbean Meteorological Service, although control resided in the local government. In the period 1958-1962, during the West Indian Federation, it formed part of the West Indies Meteorological Services.
In 1963, following the dissolution of the Federation it became the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service. The current, regional English-Speaking umbrella grouping carries the name Caribbean Meteorological Organisation (CMO), with headquarters in Trinidad.